Position Location: Any location in West Africa (Abuja, Nigeria; Dakar, Senegal; Accra, Ghana; or Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, or other cities/countries)
The AGOA consultant will provide support to public and private stakeholders regarding AGOA outreach and export promotion from West Africa to the U.S. as well as for exports within West Africa and from the sub-region to other countries by the Trade Hub’s grantees. He/she will provide support to governments and regional partners (ECOWAS and UEMOA) on the implementation of AGOA and other export strategies, support to associations/export agencies on understanding AGOA and the U.S. and other country market entry requirements, training for governments and customs related to the textile visa and direct support to firms needing to file required export/import documentation to claim AGOA preferences.
The AGOA Consultant will report to the Chief of Party based in Abuja, Nigeria and will work at least 8 days monthly for a total of 3 to 4 months. The consultant is expected to travel extensively within West Africa as needed.
- Provide information and raise awareness about AGOA and U.S. import requirements, primarily via workshops and webinars in collaboration with U.S. Missions and Trade Support Organizations through West Africa.
- Liaise with ECOWAS, UEMOA, AfCFTA, Chambers of Commerce, and export promotion agencies around the West Africa region to organize and lead training events
- Support West African businesses in exporting to the U.S. and other markets by receiving and answering questions from businesses about AGOA eligibility and how to export specific products to the U.S. and other markets.
- Advise governments interested in obtaining or updating their textile visas.
- Provide needed assistance regarding AGOA and other exports to grantees, other stakeholders and partners as needed.
- Any other tasks to help facilitate exports and co-investment partnerships, as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
The successful candidate must have the following skills/qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Agribusiness, Textiles, International Trade, Strategies and Marketing, Trade facilitation, or related field.
- 10+ years general work experience and 7+ years of progressive specific experience related to the position.
- At least five years of experience with USAID projects (or other similar donor programs) is highly preferable.
- A citizen of a West African country who is fluent in both English and French is highly preferable.
- Previous experience in working with exporters and trade support institutions in West Africa.
- Previous experience in promoting AGOA and export to the U.S. is preferable.
- Excellent communication skills in both English and French.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and mediation skills.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must be available to start no later than May 15, 2022 should send their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 2nd May 2022 either in PDF or word format as one document.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.